National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24/7 free and confidential support for people in distress: 1-800-273-8255
Teen Suicide: Getting Help and Finding Hope
Season 7 | Episode 701 | Length: 27 minutes
This episode explores the complex role the Internet, particularly social media, plays in self-harming and suicide-related behavior; and experts provide advice for families to navigate these alarming trends.
Patrick and Jackie Kimmel
Patrick and Jackie are board members for the Western Pennsylvania Chapter of American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
Katelyn lost her father to suicide in 2004, and has been volunteering with the Western PA Chapter of the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention for over 12 years. She is currently serving as the chapter's chair.
Learn more about our guests by downloading the discussion guide.
- Find support if you, or someone who you know, is affected by suicide or suicidal thoughts.
- About suicide – warning signs, statistics, and treatment.
- National Fact Sheet
- American Foundation for Suicide Prevention – More Than Sad
- AFSP More Than Sad videos
- Campus Toolkit - Seize the Awkward
- Social Media Assets – Seize the Awkward
- CDC Violence Prevention- Fast Facts – Suicide ideation
- CDC Preventing Suicide PDF Fact Sheet
- Additional resources-Suicide / Violence Prevention