Information technologies jobs will grow more than twice as fast in Pittsburgh over the next decade, but university graduates are leaving to go elsewhere, leaving a supply shortage of workers. If software start-ups like Duolingo and JazzHR and high-profile consumer tech firms like Google and Facebook continue to locate here, the region will draw even more top-tier engineers. Software development has more often followed an agile method that requires greater teamwork, communication and customer service skills in project management roles. Business acumen to understand the implication of technology solutions is also helpful.
The software developers and software quality assurance analysts and testers occupation is expected to grow 21.5% by 2029.
Example Career Ladder: Information Technology
Follow one example of a career pathway in information technologies starting from the core skills of IT Support and Administration into a career path.
Computer Repair Technician & Helpdesk
- Help Desk: In terms of IT, is a department in an organization responsible for answering the technical questions of its users/customers.
- Set up computer hardware and installing software
- First-line troubleshooting a variety of computer problems
- Set up and troubleshoot computer networks
- Management skills such as supervision and mentoring of helpdesk staff
Network & Computer Systems Administrators
- Advanced computer network skills such as network storage and disaster recovery planning
- Advanced network support and security skills
Computer Network Architects
- Look for improvments in the efficiency of networks through network modeling and analysis
- A bachelor's degree is typically needed to advance to this role
More jobs in Information Technologies
- computer systems analysts
- support specialists
- software developers
- computer programmers
- database administrators
- information security analysts
- web developers